Sunday, February 23, 2014

Kickin' It Old School, Felt Board Style

Motherhood has made me nothing if not sentimental and in one of my many attempts to recreate pieces of my childhood for my girls, I thought it would be fun to have a good old felt board! I fell in love with some storyboards from an Etsy shop that is unfortunately not currently doing business, so I decided to do my best to recreate some on my own. The easiest way I found to make the more detailed pieces, was to draw the image on freezer paper, iron it (shiny side down) to the felt, and then cut the shape out.


So far we have…

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie:
…The Itsy, Bitsy, Spider:
…The Very Hungry Caterpillar
…and a slightly incomplete, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?:
Sydney, "Uuuh, that doesn't really look like a white dog."
The board is a craft store canvas, wrapped tight with felt, and stapled on the back.

So far Sydney loves it, although she has already requested that I make more pieces. Luck for her, they are kind of fun to do. I'm planning on making some generic "scene" pieces, (barn, trees, grass, pond, etc.) so that she can create her own stories too... and maybe an ocean creature set. Or trains, planes and automobiles? Endless possibilities!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! I remember those from the library when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers! Thanks so much for leaving a comment!