Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Facelift


It’s done! 

I took advantage of the three day holiday weekend to check something off of my to-do list that’s been there for…oh, five years or so!

It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a space. It’s a breath of fresh air, a facelift. It re-energizes the space and sets the tone for the entire room.

And picking the right or wrong color, as it turns out, makes all the difference in the world!

When we had just moved into our house, one of the first things we tackled (after removing the floral patterned wallpaper that covered sixty percent of the walls and was apparently applied with magical, space age, super glue) was painting! I scoured all of the color samples at The Home Depot and meticulously picked out the perfect colors for the main living areas; Tuscan yellow for the living room and sage green for the dining room and kitchen.

Or so I thought.

It turns out however, that 2 inch paper samples of color cannot, in fact be trusted to reflect the same loveliness when applied to hundreds of square feet of wall space. 

My Tuscan yellow was much too abrasive when applied in such massive quantities and my sage green turned out to be less sage and more sea foam. Together, in one open-concept living space, these two beauties combined to offer a dreadful, Easter basket-meets-circus tent look.

Here, see for yourself.



Perfect. Just what I had in mind.  

To quote the great Ron Burgundy… “ I immediately regret this decision!”

Yes, change is good.

Especially this change.

This change even sounds better.  Over the weekend, we laid “Soft Duckling”  (Yep, Soft Duckling, what was I thinking!) to rest and replaced it with “Antique lace”.

Wow.  That’s an improvement already.

And it looks as good as it sounds.






I’m not sure how well these colors will translate on the web, but trust me when I say it’s a HUGE improvement.

And hey, I’m the one who has to look at it every day, so my opinion is really the only one that matters anyway!

Oh, and Jon’s.

Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers! Thanks so much for leaving a comment!